Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Cream Cheese Alfredo Sauce

Phew! There is so much that I've wanted to post about lately, but I haven't had the chance to sit down and write! My schedule at work has been a little different these past couple of days, and it's thrown off my groove. I must say that I'm proud of myself because I sent out some more query letters today! I've been getting a few rejections here and there, but that's all part of the process. I'm just waiting for the one who will say yes. You better believe it's going to happen.

In the meantime, I do believe I promised some more recipe sharing. When we made that delicious Alfredo, my mom and I looked up a ton of recipes, so I honestly can't remember where this one comes from. The woman who did it showed the original recipe and then the modifications she made to it. We used her modifications. As I mentioned, it's none too healthy. Pretty much it's a heart attack on noodles. That's what makes it so darn delicious! You could definitely make adjustments to it though to make it a little healthier. A lot of Alfredo recipes do it without cream cheese, so that's not a necessity. We always use the neufchatel cream cheese or the 1/3 less fat or whatever it is, so that's another option. So here's the recipe as we did it. Keep reading afterwards for notes on what the original recipe called for.

Cream Cheese Alfredo Sauce

Ingredients
1 cup butter
8 oz cream cheese
1 pint half and half
1 tsp garlic powder
salt
black pepper
1 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Directions
1. In a medium saucepan, melt butter.
2. When butter is melted, add cream cheese.
3. When the cream cheese is softened, add half and half.
4. Season with garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
5. Simmer for 15-20 minutes over low heat, stirring constantly.
6. Remove from heat and stir in Parmesan

We also sauteed onion, chicken, and small shrimp and seasoned those with Cajun spices. Mix that all together and you will have a splendid masterpiece!

The original calls for 1/2 cup of butter, heavy cream instead of half and half, and 2/3 cup of grated Parmesan. We used half and half because that's what we happened to have on hand! You can used minced garlic cloves instead of the powder (3-4 cloves).

We used some wheat angel hair pasta instead of Alfredo noodles, which I actually prefer. Choose whatever noodles you like best! If you have leftovers, the sauce will become a solid mass, but it heats back up really nicely, so you can enjoy it over and over again!

More to come! Enjoy!

No comments: