Thursday, October 6, 2011

My Disappearing Act and Attempt at Independence

Some of you he see in person on a semi-regular basis may have realized that I have disappeared. On the other hand, perhaps my parents are the only ones who have notice. That's quite all right. I was kind of secretive about my disappearence until a few moments (by moments I mean days) before it actually happened. That was mostly due to the uncertainty of it all. Well, my disappearence is definitely for certain at this point. Everything else? Not so much.

Don't read that last bit in a negative light. It's not meant to be taken that way. I'm contentedly sitting on the bathroom rug using the bathtub for a back rest and sharing jokes with the toilet who is very kindly laughing at them and keeping me company.

Perhaps we should take a step back.

A few weeks ago, I applied for a job that would require me to move to Utah. I was really hoping I'd get it. I'd mention to my mother at some point that I'd thought it may be a good idea to pick up and move somewhere and try my luck at independence at least for a little while. When she agreed with suggestion and things started moving forward, a felt a little bit of panic. How serious had I been about leaving the comforts of home and taking a step into the unknown world? I wasn't quite sure, but that didn't keep me from going along with it.

My sister, Megan, wanted me to visit her at some point. Turns out she would be getting one from me--one with an undetermined length attached to it.

Megan and me very excited to go to Canada in June

So out of the blue, I packed my things and headed to Utah. We were heading that way for General Conference anyhow, so it seemed liked the perfect time to move in with my sister for a few months. Thankfully, she's okay with the arrangement.

Back to the bathroom comment--it just so happens that the wireless internet signal in her apartment is strongest in the bathroom. The past few days, I've walked to the library to take advantage of their free internet services, but I didn't feel like it today as it's been rather dismal in the cold, rainy, reminds me of home only with more wind sort of way. So I've stayed home.

And I am attempting to make steps toward independence. I'm applying for jobs, sending out query letters to agents (one of which will hopefully want to help publish one of my writings), and at the same time doing ordinary things I love to do!

One of those things is my new found relationship with Rosetta Stone. While I was in Denver so long ago (a few months), I decided that I wanted to re-learn the little bit of German I'd learned in high school and build on that so I could say more than phrases like, "Wann hast du Geburtstag?" or "Ich habe keine hose" (a favorite of my brother's when we're in the middle of parking lots and he feels like saying something in German quite loudly). I get frustrated with the program at times when it doesn't like the way I pronounce der Junge or milch, but all in all, it's a great program, and I think more things will stick in my head besides "Ich habe Hausaufgaben nicht gern."

Only time will tell what will happen next in my life. The uncertainty isn't bothering me at the moment. Life is good. Besides, who doesn't love a little adventure?

No comments: