Monday, October 17, 2011

Ode to Hot Dogs

Yesterday, Megan and I decided decided to have hot dogs for dinner. It really made me want baked beans. Alas, we didn't have any... But baked beans are not the point of this story.

When I suggested that we should eat hot dogs, I remembered a certain incident that occurred at a church potluck a few months back. I preceded to tell Megan the story. There were hot dogs at said potluck complete with buns and condiments--all except one. I somewhat jokingly said, "What? No mayonnaise?" This did not go over very well.

I was totally taken by surprise when everyone around me expressed their disgust at just the thought of the combination of mayonnaise and hot dogs. It's not strange to me at all because I've been doing it my whole life. I couldn't understand why it sounded so weird to people. I went home and told my parents and that couldn't see why it was so weird either. If I remember, they told some of their friends who immediately said how disgusting that was.

So I guess there's some unwritten rule somewhere that says you're not meant to mix hot dogs and mayonnaise. Do I care? No. I still think it's delicious. My family must just be the only people who do it. Someone prove me wrong. Is there anyone else out there who doesn't think the thought of mayonnaise and hot dogs is gag worthy? Please post a comment. This is for science!

I wonder if my family is the only one who puts ketchup on scrambled eggs too...

2 comments:

Pat said...

I've never had mayo on a hot dog, but it doesn't sound weird to me. After all, many people AND well known restaurants put mayo on burgers. And really? Is a burger so different than a hot dog? In the interest of science I'm definitely going to try mayo on my next hot dog. Oh - and ketchup on scrambled eggs? Heck yeah! I guess there's more than one weird family in this world, but then that can depend on how each of us defines weird!!

Danielle said...

I'm so glad you're willing to try mayo and hot dogs in the name of science! I hope you aren't disgusted :)