Saturday, November 10, 2007

Surprise! It's a white rabbit!

On Friday I learned how cheeky and odd my family can be. I went to Laura and Stuart's house as is my custom for every Friday evening. We ate yummy food and treats! Laura made a huge wad of popcorn stuck together with caramel, chocolate, and peanut butter.




And I made some pumpkin cake. The frosting tasted like really sweet pumpkin. Almost too much.




We started talking about how Laura's birthday is coming up. Stuart then started to break the truth to me: he'd told Laura what I got her for her birthday. One thing I've noticed about my family however is that we have the tendency to be pathalogical liars so as Stuart was beginning his sob story with tears and a smile at the same time, I had a pretty good feeling that he was going to lie and that I should prepare myself. Sure enough, he had tricked Laura into believing that I got her Sabrina, the Audrey Hepburn version. So of course I hit him and called him a jerk to make it all seem more believable. Laura, being the cheeky devil that she is (and I'm pretty sure she would have hurt someone if we didn't obey her will) commanded us to celebrate her birthday at that moment so that she could open the rest of her presents (yep, she'd already opened two boxes out of three). We agree to do as she asked and went to go pick up Laura's real present: Roxanne, starring Steve Martin, and a cute little tote bag.


When we got back to the appartment, Stuart told Laura to close her eyes. She immediately started freaking out and I don't think I've ever seen her more scared. For some reason she thought that we got her a white rabbit which she is apparently terrified of. Stuart put his hand over her eyes and told her to reach out her hands. I don't really blame her for being nervous at that point.






Laura was having trouble with that so I kind of plopped the gift on her lap. Her surprised face was more of a "Thank goodness it's not a killer white rabbit like Monty Python" face.



I made her give me a real surprised face.



She told us that the reason she is afraid of white rabbits is because of her guilty conscience for opening one of her sister's presents just to peek and see what it was. Turns out it was a rabbit and things didn't turn out so well for Laura.... Poor thing.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Haha. Oh dear. I didn't realise I'd looked so afraid. That was me hiding my fear!

Unknown said...

I'm glad you posted this! Now I don't have to feel bad for missing the party. One thing you don't know, I still have more presents for Laura! I knew she couldn't resist! SHH! Don't tell anybody!