Thursday, March 5, 2009

Ode to Grandpa!



First off, happy 100th post to me!! I'm so happy!
Okay enough of that. Now to more important things. Thursdays are my favorite day of the week (seems random huh?). Pretty much my whole life except for when I didn't care or take notice, Thursdays have, in general, been really good days. Today did not start out in the spirit of a Thursday. It felt more like a Monday really. You know, one of those days you almost don't make it out of bed, you have trouble paying attention in class, your mind seems to wander to all the negative things currently happening in your life, that sort of thing. There are a few things that made it all better. But there's one event in particular I'd like to share.
One of my friends from back home is serving a mission for our church and I get to receive his e-mails every week. He sends them to his family who then forwards them to me. Anyway, in his e-mail for this week he mentioned how his companion is from Grants Pass, Oregon. I was like, "Hey! That's where my grandparents live!" I preceded to call my Mom and tell her about it. After a moment she was like "Oh my gosh!! Your dad knows his dad!" And she told me I should call my grandparents who also knows the family. And that's just what I did.

Grandpa was the only one home and I was able to speak with him for a little over forty minutes. Best forty minutes ever! It's been a while since I've spoken to him so it was nice to catch up a little bit and share a few good laughs. He asked me about my roommates and asked if they would be nice to him if he were to show up and I were to explain our relationship. I told him that I wouldn't have to explain that we were related because we are equally wierd. Although he tried to deny it, he pretty much just admitted to it.

We had a fun time making fun of ourselves and reflecting wonderful things like useless/made up words particularly as it relates to my family's favorite game: Scrabble. Haha in case you didn't pick up on that...us members of the Adams family always have strange experiences with Scrabble. I was playing a game not to long ago called Quiddler which is a word game with cards. Some questions were asked about what sorts of words were allowed or against the rules. Someone said it was exactly like Scrabble to which I replied, "Well my family makes up their own rules to Scrabble every time so I don't really know how to play." It might not be completely true...but partially.

Anyway, my mood has significantly increased! I'm so grateful for my grandpa. I love him so much and he's such a good example to me. I can't wait till I get to see him again!

3 comments:

Megan said...

Our family is so awesome. Just sayin'.

Laura said...

Cute.

I'm glad I have the chance to have a grandpa at this point in my life. I hadn't had a proper relationship with any of mine. My mum's parents died when I was really young and we were never close to my dad's parents. So I love that I get to have another chance. I hope when I have kids they'll have as good a relationship with their grandparents as you have with yours.

All your grandparents are great!

Beth Adams said...

You are quite lucky to have grandparents you know and love. I had the blessing to be really close to some of mine ( I had 6. That's the only good thing divorce will do for you. Get you more grandparents!) But I was afraid of a couple of them too. I didn't understand them very well. However I always knew each of them loved me, especially my dad's dad and my mom's parents. They were all good people though. I'm glad you get to know your grandparents as good people too.