Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Adventures with Plaster Tape

Today I felt truly claustrophobic for the first time in my life!! I mean sure there's been those times where I'm like "There are way to many people in here. I need some fresh air." But never have a actually felt fear. I was kind of surprised today when some tinglings of fear was part of my reaction to my adventure with paster tape. Let me explain. I'm currently taking a mask making class here at school and it's really helpful when making a mask to have a face to model it on. So for the past couple of class periods we've been making molds of our faces which we will then fill with plaster of paris and then we will have the perfect model to make masks for our faces! Hooray!! The way you make the mold is essentially by covering your entire face (eyes and mouth included) with plaster tape, letting it dry, and then pulling it off. I don't have a picture from class but I found this picture online.






That's how it's done! We actually did it a little differently. That is, we covered the hair with plastic wrap so we could go back a little farther on the head. You also get to put vaseline on your face as to prevent your eyebrows/eyelashes/etc. from being pulled out (that would have been handy when I put latex and tissue on your face, huh Laura?).

So after my entire face had been covered except for my two nostrils so I didn't die, I began to be somewhat afraid. There was no need to be, but the fear was creeping up nonetheless. So in that moment I wondered if that's how my mom or grandpa feel when they are in tight places--that fear that prevents them from touring the Oregon Caves and such. I wonder...

It wasn't too bad though. Not nearly as bad as when someone comes at me with a needle....

1 comment:

lindsey gruwell said...

that sounds like an interesting class. I didn't know they offered it. Have fun and ya, good thing they left it so you could breath...then fear to a new level would arise.