Wednesday, January 16, 2008

He was bleeding profusely and what not

I used to wonder why the phrase "what not" used to annoy my dad so much. True I said it all the time, but surely that could not be the reason. He asked me what "what not" meant. I thought he was just being wierd. "What not" is like saying etcetera or all the rest. It wasn't until today that I fully understood my father's frustration. I was sitting in my history class listening to my fellow students teaching me about Indians, Spaniards, and whether or not Europe was more civilized than the Native Americans. As people joined into the discussion and tried to voice their opinions on how Europe was more civilized and something how Europe was a jerk, Africa was barbaric, and the New World was savage (all debatable mind you. Perhaps I'll address that subject later), I heard atleast two people end their comments with "what not". I found myself wondering "What is that suppposed to mean?" Oh you know, Cortes killed the Aztecs and what not. Oh okay I understand now.

Okay so perhaps I'm being a wee bit harsh, but I was just thinking about how casual the English language has become. If you don't know what else to say why say "what not". Why not just end with Cortes was the cause of bringing an entire civilization to destruction? Doesn't that have more impact?
Anyway, it was after that class where I came up with the title to this blog. The next to you have blood bursting forth from your body, you better pray that someone doesn't call 911 and say that you are bleeding profusely and what not.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love it! It's so nice to know that you have finally grown up and can realize that there is more to the English language than "and stuff", or "what not", etc. The only thing is realization doesn't mean that you won't use it. Old habits die hard.