Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Don't Jump to Conclusions

I've been thinking a lot today about what I could write about. I had a lot of good ideas, but I didn't write them down or something so I can't remember any of them! Thankfully, I have more than one idea in one day so I can still come up with something to share with you.

In The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster (fabulous book by the way), the three main characters learn the dangers of jumping to conclusions. If I remember correctly (it has been a rather long time since I last read the book), they are driving along when each of them individual thinks or says something which would qualify as jumping to conclusions. All of them are then whisked out of the car, and the next thing they know, they are on the island of Conclusions! And the only way to get back to the mainland and their car is to swim all the way back. So that's what they do.

So in real life, it's highly unlikely that you will literally be whisked off to Conclusions and then have to swim all the way back. If that happens to you, let me know. I'd love to hear about it.

Anyway, the point is, jumping to conclusions or making assumptions don't always end up well for us. First of all, many if not most of the time when we do this, we are wrong. Let's face it. We make wrong assumptions of people everyday! We won't always have the opportunity to correct those assumptions, but sometimes we can. Or, at least we can calm ourselves down a little bit.

Here is one thing I've done or heard of that is kind of ridiculous if you think about, but it's something some of us are prone to do, so no making fun! haha. Okay, the scenario goes something like this. Person A texts or facebook chats Person B. Person B doesn't respond or delays responding. During that space in time between what Person A said and what Person B will potentially say, Person A may be tempted to jump to all sorts of wild conclusions as to why Person B isn't responding. "Maybe I said something wrong. Maybe they don't like me. Why did I even start talking?" Etc. etc. Give yourself a break, Person A. Most likely, they were getting their poptarts out of the toaster and were therefore away from their computer or phone.

So having been Person A on more than one occasion, I've come to realize that the conversation will be a lot less stressful for you if you just relax. Give Person B time. Never assume that there is something wrong with you if they don't answer (unless of course you said something you really shouldn't have or proclaimed your undying love or something. You may receive a very long pause for that. haha). If you assume anything, assume they are busy and they will get back to you when they can. If what you have to say is really important, call them. People still like to hear each other's voices, as crazy as that seems.

That's just one example. Oh here's another good one. When I was in middle school, I remember the day I learned about President Hoover. I came home with the firm conviction that he was an idiot and I was telling people about it (by people...it was probably my mom). My grandpa was there and overheard what I was saying and I remember him saying something to the effect of, "How do you know? You weren't even there." True Grandpa, true. And I doubt my 7th grade education gave me enough background to actually judge whether or not Hoover was an idiot. I remember being a bit embarrassed. I guess you shouldn't make judgements about things or people that you really know nothing about! Fancy that.

So before you go causing yourself or anyone else pain, don't jump to conclusions! Become well informed, take a chance on someone who may seem weird (maybe they're normal after all!), or try a new food even if it looks/sounds disgusting (mayonaise, peanut butter, cheese, and pickle sandwiches really aren't as bad as they sound). And the next time you're on facebook chat, be patient...or go knocking on Person B's door and demand that they answer. You'll make more friends that way probably.

Aufwiedersehen!

No comments: