Monday, February 1, 2010

Finding Beauty in Yourself

It's occurred to me recently that some people are under some false impression that to be beautiful or desirable as a friend that you have to be of a certain body, have perfect hair and facial features, be smart, and basically be more than just boring and average, which is how some of us tend to view ourselves.

You are not boring and average. I can tell you that right off the bat. For as silly as this may seem, there is only one of you. Remember my last post on having stories to tell or having your own adventures? Let me reiterate that we all have stories to tell. Everyday is full of adventure if you are willing to see it that way. And because you are unique and in no way whatsoever boring, your adventure will not be the same as anyone else's.

I suppose I'm getting a little off track. This post is about finding the beauty in yourself because just as I can guarantee that life is full of adventures and that you are definitely not average, you are beautiful! Now you may look in the mirror once in a while and think that there isn't anything beautiful about you. I beg to differ.

There's much more to beauty than the outward appearances. I love my family and friends, and when I think about all the qualities I like about them, I can't help but see their beauty. And maybe their face isn't zit free all the time (I know mine isn't!) or maybe they get on my nerves every once in awhile, but I love them for who they are individually.

Sometimes it's a lot easier to find the beauty in someone else than it is to find the beauty in ourselves. We are our worst critics. So how do you find the beauty in yourself? It's rough sometimes...really rough. But we all have beautiful qualities. Sometimes it just takes us forcing ourselves to see those qualities before we can actually accept ourselves for who we are.

So here's my challenge. When you feel like being negative about yourself, stop and list a few things you love about yourself. If you need some help (because we all do on occasion), have a close friend help you out. Seriously.

And don't try to bring yourself up by bringing others down. That won't help you in the long run.

If your still having trouble, do something nice for someone else. Serving someone is one of the best ways to lift your spirits.

Good luck on your adventures! Until next time!

No comments: