Friday, February 12, 2010

Frustrations and New Loves



I suppose it's been a while since I've actually told you about what's happening in my life right now. Things are good...a little overwhelming at times but still good.


I'm working on putting together a resume and job portfolio for class as well as for an internship I'm really hoping I'll get. Yesterday I had a bit of a breakdown (just a wee one) because I felt like there is so much pressure for me to get this done right so I can get a job...one that doesn't require putting backpacks in boxes like I've done for the past two summers or one that involves any form of fast food like I did the summer before that. All in all, I felt like I couldn't do it. And you know when you are upset about one thing how it makes everything seem horrible? It's easy to put a negative connotation to almost anything when you're in a bad mood.


So, although I'm still under some pressure (does anyone else think of the Brian Reagan sketch when they say the word pressure?), I'm feeling a lot better this morning. Thank you to everyone for your help, by the way. After all, we all need some help once in awhile. Plus my resume is slowly improving! So things are getting better!


Now that I've told you about the current academic stress in my life, let me tell you about one of my new found loves: book arts!



Here are some of the books I've done so far! It is so fun to make books, and it's really not that hard. Sometimes it can be a little frustrating, and it does take some patience. But all the frustration you may face is completely worth it once you've got the finished product in your hands! As I'm learning to put these different types of books together, they all have little flaws that are probably most apparent to me and my teacher. But when I make a mistake, I just smile and say that it gives the book character. I'm going to have a lot of books with character...

The materials for book making can be a bit expensive at times. Just last week I spent eight dollars on one sheet of paper. Don't worry. It's a good sized piece of paper. I just couldn't resist! It's a Japanese print which I love! And really, eight bucks is a really good price for a Japanese print of that size. So it was totally worth it.

On a completely different note, I've joined the theater council here on campus! It's mostly so I can be a part of a Celtic Festival that they are putting on. My friend, Breanna, and I are potentially singing a duet for the event. Technically, we still have to try out...which will happen next week. It's been a long time since I've been a part of this sort of production. I haven't officially been in a play since my last year of high school. So I'm hoping this will work out so that I can have that experience at least one more time (hmmm....that just put an image from Beauty and the Beast in my head...). Wish me luck!

Well, I've got a bunch of reading, writing, napping? to do. I hope you all have a good President's Day weekend! Oh! Also, Sunday be Valentime's Day! Yes...I did say it/spell it that way on purpose. That was my little shout out to Teen Girl Squad..... Anyway, I'm sure you all remember my sentiments on this particular holiday. But just in case you can't, click here for a little reminder. Remember to celebrate all your loved ones this holiday: friends, family, pets, everyone who's helped you get where you are today. And you don't have to celebrate them by giving them gifts or doing something cheesy (although those moments can be quite awesome). Send someone a message, or make a call, or doing something nice for your roommates, etc. Do something to celebrate people, for I'm sure just as there have been many great people who come in and out of my life that there are some great people in yours. Happy Valentine's Day!

No comments: