Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Contemplating Emotion

I'm not sure I have and answer to this, but as I am attempting to do my homework (sometimes a very difficult process, especially since I would love to be asleep right now), I starting thinking and came up with this question: are people, in general, subconsciously afraid of emotion, particularly strong emotion, and are we taught (or do we teach ourselves) to suppress or hide these emotions?

I was thinking about how a lot of times I don't even realize how much something means to me until I talk to someone about it. Sometimes, for example, I know I'm hurting. We get hurt--it's a part of life. But when I think I've gotten over it, I'll start to talk to someone and then I realize that I'm still hurting. In fact, in that moment, it may hurt more than it seemed to in the first place!

I think maybe we hide will sometimes hide emotion, negative emotions in particular, because we've convinced ourselves it's a sign of weakness. Or maybe we just don't want to admit something is wrong because we don't want to talk about it. Or maybe we don't want people to think we're just a silly little whiner. Maybe it's because we're afraid no one will understand. Maybe we hope that if we ignore that emotion, it will just go away or whatever it is that caused that emotion will go away. There's probably not just one answer.

What do you think?

2 comments:

Megan said...

I can tell you wanted to be asleep while you wrote this--you have some pretty funny spelling errors. My favorite is "expecially." But good post, nonetheless.

Danielle said...

How embarassing! Haha I've got it all fixed up now! Hopefully...